Saturday 28 March 2009

Spring?

Awoke early and was at Fowlmere before 7am. Three Chiffchaffs were bravely singing in the strong North-westerly winds and rain. As expected, not a lot else was. However, I did hear an unusual call coming from the reed-bed. I can only assume it to be a Water Rail. I took a recording and it was indeed confirmed to be one.

I returned later in the afternoon for a brief visit (first free day for some time) and saw a Buzzard being mobbed by a couple of Crows, but little else despite the improvement to the weather.

Went to Therfield Heath hoping to find some Wheaters, but on arrival the rain came again and the wind picked up. Two Grey Partridges was all I had to show in about two hours of searching. Pasque Flowers were out, but in smaller numbers than previous years.