Wednesday 31 October 2012

St. Levan, Porthgwara, and Nanquidno

Definitely chose the wrong day to spend a full day birding. Blowing a gale and pouring with rain! Started at the Minack Theatre car-park at Porthcurno and walked in to St. Levan. Just the usual stuff.

I then parked the car at the top of Porthgwara and did a long circuit. A flock of thirteen Greenland White-fronted Geese was a good find (my first ever in England). The Richard’s Pipit had again been reported on the moor. I don’t know how as I could hardly stand in the gale-force wind and torrential rain. Hardly saw a bird there, and to make it worse, the Pastie-shop was shut!

So on to Nanquidno. Where for a long time, I had not very much. Soaked (despite waterproofs) and cold I was about to give up, and just checking through a final flock of Goldcrests when a Chiffchaff emerged, followed by a Yellow-browed Warbler. Some reward for my efforts at last!

Yellow-browed Warbler Report