Sunday 23 December 2012

Richardson’s Canada Goose

Richardson’s Canada Goose Went to Norfolk for the Richardson’s Canada Goose (Cackling Goose - Branta hutchinsii hutchinsii). It had been ranging between Blakeney and Kelling and quite difficult to connect with. However, it had been seen at Kelling in the morning and so with a free afternoon I decided to gamble. Upon arrival I was unsure of the best path to take so asked a dog-walker with binoculars. He showed me the path but explained that it was pointless walking down there if I was after the goose as it had been missing for hours. With only a couple of hours light left, I decided to get back in the car and drive to Cley to see if had been reported there. However, driving past Salthouse, I noticed a flock of about fifty Canada Geese. Although it had never been reported there before, I decided I may as well pull over and give the flock a scan. And there it was!

I watched it for the best part of an hour and then went for a walk around Salthouse. This produced a flock of about thirty Snow Buntings and a female Common Scoter at sea.

An excellent afternoon!