Saturday 27 April 2013

A Top Day

Wasn’t actually planning on doing much birding but the day turned out differently. I took Sam to Royston for football training and whilst there, had a look around Therfield to look for migrants. Not a lot in evidence in a cold northerly wind, but a Raven went over and there were more Pasque Flowers than I’ve ever seen there before.
Pasque Flower Pasque Flower

Whilst walking around I got a message to say that the Wood Warbler I had missed a few days ago was back. So after taking Sam home I made for there.
No sign and nobody looking but whilst waiting I found a Pied Flycatcher! Then, whilst watching that I heard the Wood Warbler and it was soon seen. Photos here by Jason Ward…

Pied Flycatcher (Jason Ward)Wood Warbler (Jason Ward)

With those in the bag, I then made for Suffolk to see the Eastern Subalpine Warbler, a race I’d never seen before. This bird showed amazingly well down to a few yards. I watched for thirty minutes before heading home to the pub to celebrate an excellent day, but not before stopping just before I got there along Fowlmere Road to see two distant Wheatears.

Subalpine Warbler