Saturday 16 November 2013

There she doesn’t blow!

Went to Eccles* to look for the Humpback Whale that has been reported on and off over the last few weeks heading slowly North along the East Norfolk coast.No birders, no whalers, a lovely afternoon, but no Whale.

Big compensation would have been a Lapland Bunting that flew over but couldn’t be relocated. I assumed it may have been with the hundred or so Snow Buntings on the beach but I couldn’t find it. Two Black-throated Divers lingered off-shore for a while and two Red-throated Divers flew past. Other than that, a few flocks of Eider, a flock of Common Scoter, and the occasional Gannet were noted along with a lot of Grey Seals.

*A place I knew from my many boyhood summer holidays spent there. I worked out it was about 35 years since I’d been here last!

Eccles Grey SealEccles Snow Bunting