Thursday 11 June 2015

Hudsonian Whimbrel Tick!

Pagham HarbourWas set for another attempt at the Hudsonian Whimbrel last night, but it went missing all afternoon, and wasn’t seen again until the evening. It did the same today, but a message came out at 5:30 to say it was still there. Unfortunately the M25 was like a carpark (I actually changed direction from anti-clockwise to clockwise!) and so it took and age to get there. Arrived in rapidly fading light at high tide and began a sprint to the bird. Bumped into a birder coming the other way and was told it had flown into the middle of the harbour out of view. Terrific. Decided I’d spend the night in the car and try in the morning as I didn’t fancy another drive down.

However, there were about half a dozen birders who had just been watching it and it wasn’t too distant. It was out of view but I set my scope up on the spot and hoped. Light was fading fast. Eventually the bird came into view. It began to preen and I saw no white on the rump (which I would have glimpsed). It then wandered out of view again. Just about tickable I decided, so wasn’t going to sleep in the car. Phew! Five minutes later it wandered out again, and then flew. Now properly on the list. It actually flew a few times after that one time fairly close. I even managed a couple of photos (despite it being nearly dark). Eventually it flew off some distance just before nightfall and I (and the other birders) left.

Hudsonian Whimbrel Hudsonian Whimbrel