Tuesday 22 March 2016

Botanic Gardens and Foxton

CommaNot a bad day considering I was in an office for most of it. Went for a late morning walk in the Botanic Gardens in Cambridge where I saw the first butterfly of the year, a Comma (took a phone-photo); quickly followed by the second, a Peacock. Then I saw the first bat of the year, probably a Pipistrelle sp.. It circled above my head fluttering around a conifer, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw, but the bat evidently did not, a Sparrowhawk. The Sparrowhawk glided slowly across and picked it out. It was so close to me I could actually hear the noise of the bat being crushed in the Sparrowhawks talons! Not a good start to the year for the bat, and probably just a snack for the Sparrowhawk, but pretty exciting for me.

Golden PloverIn the evening I went to check on the Short-eared Owl. I didn't see it, but there were fresh droppings in it's day-time roost. Along the way there were 27 Golden Plover, some in full summer plumage, so I took some poor photos of them too.

Cambridge Botanic Gardens
22 March 2016 11:28 - 12:21
Sunny 11C 6NW
Mallard, Sparrowhawk, Moorhen, Woodpigeon, Magpie, Carrion Crow (heard), Goldcrest (heard), Blue Tit (heard), Great Tit, Treecreeper (heard), Wren (heard), Blackbird (heard), Robin (heard), Chaffinch (heard), Goldfinch (heard), Peacock, Comma