Tuesday 13 September 2016

Fowlmere

Finished work early to go to Fowlmere on the hottest September day on record to try for the (three) Willow Emerald Damselflies that had been reported last week. Directions were vague: “Near the Spring Hide” and I was up against it time-wise as I needed to go out for the evening at 5:45 having arrived shortly after 4:00.

Until about 5:15 I’d had no luck, so decided, before going home, to have a 30 second scan over the Mere hide to make sure there weren’t any good birds on the mud. I had a very quick scan, just time enough to count 93 Lapwings and glance over the Teal. I was out again in two minutes and bumped into Ade Cooper, telling him I hadn’t seen anything special but hadn’t really looked properly.

I had about another five minutes before needing to go so decided to have a last look from the Spring Hide. A fairly distant Southern Migrant Hawker was buzzing around and it chased a Damselfly. The Damselfly then flew and rested on reed… With it’s wings spread open. This was good news as I’d never actually seen any Lestes species at Fowlmere before! It was fairly distant but I could just make out all the relevant features: Pale pterostigma, lack of blue on last segments.

I sent a text to Ade to tell him of the sighting and he immediately called to say I’d overlooked two Garganey in the Mere Hide! Not good, but it was a very quick glance. I dashed back for a few photos before racing home.

Fowlmere
13 September 2016 16:10 - 17:40
Sunny 30C 8S
Teal, Mallard, Garganey, Kestrel, Water Rail (heard), Moorhen, Lapwing, Woodpigeon, Kingfisher (heard), Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion Crow, Goldcrest (heard), Blue Tit, Great Tit, Swallow, Cetti's Warbler (heard), Long-tailed Tit, Chiffchaff, Blackcap (heard), Wren (heard), Starling, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Robin, Dunnock (heard), Chaffinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting, Large White, Small White, Red Admiral, Speckled Wood, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Willow Emerald Damselfly, Large Red Damselfly, Migrant Hawker, Southern Hawker, Common Darter, Ruddy Darter