Saturday 15 October 2011

Dips and failures

Warham at dawnStarted pre-dawn at Warham for the (as expected) departed Rufous-tailed Robin. Walked the track for an hour or so, before it became obvious that it had gone so decided to walk towards Stiffkey to see if I could find any migrants. Apart from a couple of Crossbills off the sea, a Chiffchaff, and some Red Admirals, I didn’t. It was a beautiful dawn however, made all the better by the sight and sound of Brent Geese and Pink-footed Geese and the occasional Marsh Harrier.

By the time I had returned, it was apparent that everyone had given up and headed to Holme for a Red-flanked Blue-tail that had been found. I decided however to go the other way to Stiffkey Fen where a Bluethroat was present. Except it wasn’t, not for me at least. I did manage a couple of Curlew Sandpipers but also failed to find a Yellow-browed that had been present. More Brent Geese, Pink-feet, Marsh Harriers, and Red Admirals were about all I could manage in a couple of hours.

So I retired to the Victoria at Holkham for a pint and some food (hadn’t eaten and been up since 4:30am) as well as to plan my next move. Decided I’d had enough of twitches and as there were loads of Yellow-broweds being reported, thought I’d go and find my own in Holkham Pines. I didn’t; just Goldcrests, Chiffchaffs, Redpolls, and more Red Admirals.

So, feeling rather tired and dejected I abandoned Norfolk and headed for home to watch the football.