Tuesday 26 August 2014

Hobbys

This email to Marcus Kohler pretty much sums up the morning Hobby watching:

Went this morning and a Kestrel caught a Rodent on the edge of the Woods. It took it back down the hill towards the village, so I followed it as I was interested as to where it was going to take it (heading in direction of the Dovecote so may be worth a look). Never seen this happen before, but all of a sudden it was mobbed by an adult Hobby (that I hadn’t seen), forcing the Kestrel to drop the prey. The Hobby caught it in mid-air and went back to our trees. Raced around on the bike and the juveniles were feeding on it. Didn’t see the other adult or strongest juv. (maybe they’ve departed) but only stayed for a minute as I’ve work to do and the adult bird saw me so thought I’d leave them to it as they probably had a tough day yesterday. Great to see. – Toby

Went back a couple of times in the evening, the first time there were the two usual juveniles. But at dusk they were joined by another (presumably the lingering adult?) Our bird roosted in it’s usual tree (the nest tree), but the other two roosted in trees on the other side of the field.