Saturday 2 July 2016

Black Grouse

Meadow PipitI'd pulled over the previous night at Carlisle services on the M6 as I thought it was a bit risky going two nights without sleep. I'd a sleeping bag anyway as I wasn't sure of my plans and slept well until just after 4am when it was already light. I splashed some water over my face and decided to try for Black Grouse at Langdon Beck.

CurlewThe Pennines at dawn were majestic and I actually stumbled upon four Black Grouse actually on the road about half an hour away from my destination, just north of Brough.

Despite seeing these I decided to carry on to Langdon Beck partly because driving through the Pennines at this time of morning and partly becuase my Sat-Nav (almost certainly incorrectly) told me that heading north was the quickest way home.
Black GrouseArriving at Langdon Beck I saw 14 birds, though not as close as the birds I'd seen earlier. A Curlew crossing the road just in front of the car (photo taken from inside) was an odd sight!

Brough
02 July 2016 05:10 - 05:30
Patchy cloud 10C 13W
Black Grouse, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Curlew, Song Thrush, Pied Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, Rabbit


Langford Beck
02 July 2016 06:00 - 06:45
Patchy cloud 10C 13W
Black Grouse, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Curlew, Redshank, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Meadow Pipit