Saturday 30 July 2016

Blackbirds

Seemed to spend half the day looking after the two young Blackbirds that were nesting above the conservatory door, one of whom had come out of the nest way too early and the other being somewhat neglected by the lone female who was mainly concentrating on the one on the ground in the garden. In that there was a danger of losing both (one to the cat and the other to starvation), I made the decision to try to put the one on the ground back in the nest. Possibly not the best plan as when putting the one in, the other came out. After several goes, and with the birds becoming distressed, I thought it best to leave them, with just one in the nest (which later came out).

At the end of the day I was fairly sure she still had two, as the one I could see seemed to be attended to only about half her time. At dusk, the bird was safely roosting quite high in a tree and well hidden. I let the cat out for an hour after dark.